follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

 

 

Wadebridge

About Wadebridge  |  Weather  |  Tide Times  |  Gallery


Situated on the River Camel, just six miles inland, lies the market town of Wadebridge with its ancient bridge, built in 1470, carrying the traveller over 320ft from one side of the Camel to the other straight into the heart of the town. The bridge originally boasted 17 arches although now only 14 remain. The bridge was paid for by the sheep farmers of the time and during the Civil War Cromwell himself and 1500 men came to take the bridge, such was its importance. The town now has a by-pass but for the visitor allows vehicle-free access to the town centre.

 

Sand, silt and the opening of the railway to Padstow in 1899 combined to end the long history of Wadebridge as a port. The old days are recalled by quays which line the Camel below the 15th Century bridge. It replaced a dangerous ford which was overlooked by chapels where travellers could pray before attempting the crossing. The piers of the bridge are said to be built on woolpacks for foundations. Wadebridge today is a pleasant shopping town which has been recently pedestrianised along it's main street. The Camel Trail runs from Wadebridge in one direction to Padstow and to Bodmin in the other. This traffic free long distance cycle way is a perfect way to see the Camel estuary, and the the bird life which abounds. Nearby, the annual Royal Cornwall Show has its permanent showground.

 

 

 

    

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us

Site Map

 

 

All Things Cornish

    

Cornish Shop