follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

 

 

 

St. Agnes

About St. Agnes  |  Weather  |  Gallery


St. Agnes is a wonderful little town and holiday resort perched on a hillside overlooking Trevaunance Cove. It is a town founded on mining and the surrounding countryside is littered with the remains of an industry which was once very productive in this area. Tin from the St. Agnes mines was of a very high quality.

 

As the mining industry grew, so did St. Agnes and as trade increased it became evident that a harbour was needed for importing the materials for the mines and the exporting of tin and copper. Thus was born the valiant attempts to make Trevaunance Cove into a port and several contractions were made beginning as early as 1632, but the sea always won and all were washed away in storms. One of these only lasted six years and then finally, in 1798 a harbour was constructed under the cliffs which lasted for over a hundred years. The method used for loading and unloading cargo was by winch and chute from the top of the cliff. However, this was not the end of the story for violent storms in 1916 again washed away the walls which had been insufficiently maintained and from then Trevaunance became an 'abandoned port'.


Today the town has thrown a lot of energy and resources into the holiday industry and there is a lot to see and do here, there are plenty of hotels, B&B's, self-catering accommodations, and camping sites.

 

At the bottom of the steep hill below the town is Trevaunance Cove, still used by local fishermen and where the beach is a mixture of sand and shingle. It has a lifeguard during the summer season and there are beach huts for hire. Like many of these north coast beaches and coves, it is also used by surfers and under the cliffs there are lots of rock pools at low water, for those with children who like exploring. Behind the beach there are the usual amenities including a shop, refreshments and a small amount of space for cars. A little way to the north along the coast path is Trevellas Porth, a quiet rocky little cove which is also sometimes used by surfers, but there are no facilities there.

Owned by The National Trust and the highest spot in the district, the St Agnes Beacon commands impressive views to north and south. Access is via Beacon Rd. and the walk up is well worth it.

In both directions from St. Agnes, the coast path offers wonderful cliff walks. On of which is towards Porthtowan from just above Trevaunance Cove, out along to the head where there are great views. On route you pass by the old Wheal Coates mine, now owned by The National Trust and on down to Chapel Porth where there is a great beach and refreshments.

There is also a very good historical walk called 'The Trevaunance Trail' which takes you around all the important sites relevant to the town's history, the sea and mining

 

St Ives Picture Gallery

 

   

 

    

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us