follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Davidstow

About Davidstow  |  Weather


Davidstow is situated in the deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Lewnewth, St Juliot and Otterham, on the east by Warbestow, Tremeglos and St Clether, on the south by St Clether and Advent, and on the west by Lanteglos-by-Camelford and Minster. Named after David, Bishop of Menevia, to whom the parish church is dedicated, Davidstow is a small village on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor. In the past the parish was called 'Dewstow' from the Cornish for David: 'Dewy'. The parish lies about 12 miles to the West of Launceston. There are a few isolated farms in the area and farming is the main industry. An imposing church which is beside the busy main road from Camelford to Launceston, there is an unusual holy well near the church which was restored in 1871.

The commons around Davidstow were permenantly scarred when a World War II aerodrome was built, and the disused runways still criss-cross the moor. The air base was used mainly by the Americans and Canadians for training in the run up to D-Day and were visited by General Eisenhower during 1944. However the frequent moorland mist rendered the base unusable for alot of the time and after the war the military discontinued its use. The airfield then enjoyed another slice of unique history when it became the venue for various motor racing events in the 1950's including three Formula 1 races, but a lack of sponsorship and increasing safety regulations brought this to a close within a few years. The disused airfield is still used for balloon ascents.

St Kitt's Hill, on the western side of the parish, is 985 feet above sea-level. The villages of this parish are Trewassa, Trevivian, and Tremeal (Tremail).

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us