The parish of Crantock is situated in the deanery
and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north and west by the sea and
St. Columb Minor, on the east by Newlyn East, and on the south by Cubert.
Crantock was founded by St.Carantacus in the 5th century. The son of a
Welsh chieftain, he went to Ireland where he met St. Patrick, and they
studied together. They went their separate ways and St. Carantoc (as he
was now known) came to Cornwall in his 'coracle' (which was presumably an
Irish 'currah', or leather skinned, long open canoe) in which he brought
an altar stone and a pet dove, and he came to rest in the Gannel. The dove
picked up a stick in its beak, and upon the spot where it dropped the
stick St. Carantoc established his church; the present church is upon the
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Langoroch'
(meaning dwelling of the monks). Besides the Churchtown, the
villages are Trevemper and Trevelveth.