follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Calstock

About Calstock  |  Weather


An important river port since Saxon times, the village of Calstock with its tall white houses clings to the steep Cornish bank of the Tamar fourteen miles upriver from Plymouth Sound. The scene is dominated by the splendid viaduct of 1908 which carries the branch line from Plymouth to Gunnislake. Calstock's zenith as a port came in the last century when it served an area of intense industrial and mining activity, of which many remains still exist, and a rural parish renowned for its cultivation of fruit and flowers.

A mile downriver by footpath lies the enchanting mediaeval house and estate of Cotehele, owned by the National Trust since 1947, together with its river quay, watermill, estate workshops and glorious woodland walks.

 

Calstock Viaduct

 

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us