follow us on



Cornish Links

Towns and Villages



Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages







About Callington  |  Weather

This small market town, which once stood at the gateway to one of the richest copper mining districts in the world and an area of intense industrial activity in the second half of the last century, is much quieter today although there is an air of growth about it. Behind the town, and dominating the scene for miles around, is the mighty swell of Kit Hill - a wonderful 1000ft hill crowned by an 80ft high stack built in 1858 for the winding and stamping engine of Kit Hill Consols mine. Rumour has it that every known mineral in the world may be found on, or under, Kit Hill.

Prince Charles, the Duke of Cornwall, gave the hill to the county in 1985 and it is now a country park.

Dupath holy well, a mile from the town, is enclosed in a fine granite building of 1510. The water in the basin was believed to cure whooping cough.

Originally a Saxon settlement and probably called Celliwic, the town grew to a community of 200 by the time of the Norman conquest. Callington (Calweton, Calvington, Killington, Killiton) is situated in the deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Stoke Climsland, east by Calstock and St Dominick, south by St Mellion and St Ive, and on the west by Southill. The parish is named after the Old English for 'Bare Hill'. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Calwetone. In 1584, Callington became a Parliamentary Borough, and continued to send two members to Parliament, until disenfranchised under the Reform Act of 1832.

The town of Callington is situated on a general declivity, but the prospects from it are neither extensive nor picturesque, more especially in some directions where the boundaries are fixed by the more elevated hills. Behind it rises Hingston Downs, some of the highest land in Cornwall, at a distance the hill of Carraton (or Carradon) is visible. Frogwell was the only village in the parish.






About Us

Contact Us