follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

Budock

About Budock  |  Weather  |  Gallery


Budock (Budock Water) is situated in the deanery and Hundred of Kirrier (Kerrier). In 1869, it was bounded on the north by St Gluvias and Falmouth, on the east by the sea, on the south by Mawnan and Constantine, and on the west by Mabe.

 

The parish is named after Saint Budocus; the name is also found in the area of Plymouth known as St Budeaux. Before the conquest the whole of the parish of Budock lay within the manor belonging to the Bishops of Exeter called Treliver. The modern name of the village is Budock Water. Glasney was originally in this parish, and was a moor or march at the bottom of the episcopal park at Penryn. Here Walter Bronescombe, Bishop of Exeter, in 1264, commenced and on March 26th 1267, endowed a college for thirteen canons, one of whom was to be styled provost, or president, and for thirteen vicars. In 1318 a misunderstanding between to Provost and canons as impropriators of St Gluvias, and the vicar of that church over the division of tithes was resolved by the Bishop of Exeter.

 

The peninsular upon which Pendennis Castle stands was a detached portion of Budock. Part of Budock formed the new borough of Falmouth and Penryn.


 

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us