follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Breage

About Breage  |  Weather


Originally called St Breock-in-Kirrier (Kerrier), St Breaca or St Briack, the parish is now called Breage. It is situated in the deanery and Hundred of Kirrier, and is bounded on the north by Crowan, on the east by Sithney, on the west by St Hilary and Germoe, and on the south by the sea.

 

The parish of Breage (nr Helston) is named after Saint Breage and is either pronounced Braig or Breeg as it is now more often heard. Tregoning Hill (596 feet) and Godolphin Hill (495 feet) are in this parish. On the top of the former are the remains of a large Iron Age fort. It appears to have been of great strength and was one of the largest of the kind in Cornwall. The granite on Tregoning was of two types. One was used for ornamental building under the name of Breage stone; the other, abounding in talc, was worked as china clay. Besides the churchtown, the principal villages in this parish are: Ashton, Trew, Rinsey, Kenegy, Hendra, Tregunno, Trescow, Trevervas and Herland (where the Godolphin church stood). The fishing village of Porthleven was partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.

 

The two modern parishes of Godolphin and Porthleven were created from parts of this parish in 1846.

 

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us