follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bradock (Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock)

About Bradock  |  Weather  |  Gallery


The parish is named after the Old English for Broad Hook or Oak, it is often called Broadoak in documents. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Brodehog when Earl Aelfric had held it before 1066. At that time, it is recorded as having land for 4 ploughs but only two ploughs there with 2 slaves. There were also 3 villagers and 4 smallholders. The parish then consisted of 20 acres of woodland and 100 acres of pasture.

It has been known as Broadoke, but is now spelled 'Bradock/Braddock'. The parish lies in the hundred and deanery of West. It is bounded on the east by St Pinnock, on the south by Bocconoc, on the west by St Winnow, and on the north it is separated from the parishes of Cardinham, Warleggan, and St Neot by the River Fowey. On Bradock Downs are ancient barrows from the Iron Age, from which urns of rough pottery have been found.

Bradock Down was the scene of two important events in the English Civil War. First, a victory obtained by the King's forces early in 1643 under the command of Sir Bevill Granville, Sir Nicholas Slanning, Sir Ralph Hopton, Arundell, Trevanion and other gentlemen of the county, over a much larger force commanded by Ruthven, Parliamentary Governor of Plymouth. The victory was so complete that Ruthven escaped to Saltash with great difficulty and accompanied by just a few of his troops, from whence they were speedily driven across the Tamar. This advantage mainly contributed to the Royalist victory at Stratton on the 16th May of the same year. The second battle was on a more extensive scale. Lord Essex's Parliamentary Army had entered Cornwall in 1644, followed by the King in person. King Charles had sent up his headquarters at Boconnoc, whilist Essex had headquarted at Lanhydrock. After a number of skirmishes, Essex negotiated for a withdrawl; on 31st August, Essex abandond his army and reached Plymouth. The Parliamentary cavalry forced its way through the Royalists, leaving the infantry to fight its way out of Bradock and Boconnoc Downs, with a great loss of life. The discomfiture of Lord Essex's army left the King without an enemy in arms in Cornwall.

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us