(Boyton, Boietone, or Boyyeton)
The parish of Boyton lies in the
Hundred of Stratton and the Deanery of Trigg-Major; it is about five miles
north of Launceston. The parishes of Week St Mary and North Tamerton join
it on the Cornish side, otherwise it abuts and is nearly surrounded by the
former Devon parishes of North Petherwin, Werrington, St
Giles-in-the-Heath, and the Devon parish of Luffingcot and a Devon village
called Northcot Hamlet which crosses the River Tamar. The road to it from
Launceston crosses through more than two miles of Devon.
The parish is named after Boia's Farm. It is mentioned in the Domesday
Book of 1086 as Boitone. Boyton sits almost on the border between
Devon and Cornwall, the surrounding country gives pleasant views over
wooded hills and valleys with Dartmoor prominent in the distance. The Bude
canal passes through this parish on the east side, and there was a wharf
at Boyton Bridge.
"BOYTON, a village and parish, 5 miles N.W. of Launceston, has 600 souls,
and about 4200 acres of land, all in Cornwall, except NORTHCOTT
hamlet, which has 100 inhabitants, and 740 acres of land, in the valley of
the river Tamar, occupied by the following farmers :- Digory
Downing, John Downing, John Martin, Thos. Stapleton, and Wm. Walters.
Northcott supports its highways with Werrington. The Rev. Edw. Rudall,
M.A., is the vicar." [From White's Devonshire Directory