follow us on

   

 

Cornish Links

Towns and Villages


 

 

Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages

 

 

 

 

 

Baldhu

About Baldhu  |  Gallery


The parish of Baldhu is situated in the Deanery of Powder. It is named after the Cornish for Black Mine. It was formed on 1st January 1847 from parts of Kea parish. The parish church is the burial place of Billy Bray, the revivalist preacher. The village is a mining village situated above the Carnon Valley to the West of Truro. All of the mining in the area has now ceased but there is much evidence of its past. The mine at Wheal Jane was the most recent one to close in the late 20th century. The area has many buildings once occupied by the local miners.

A little to the south of the Truro to Chasewater road, in the old parish of St. Kea, lies a church in an isolated spot. Hardly a house stands anywhere nearby. The building is reached by a narrow road and one almost stumbles upon it. The rooks crow in the surrounding trees. No bells are ever heard. The doors are locked and the windows vandalized, while all the ornaments and valuables have been removed. There are no times of service in the south porch for no services are ever held here. The atmosphere is one of desolation and decay. The people have departed; the organ no longer peals forth its music. Visitors come only to seek the grave of the miner evangelist preacher Billy Bray, who lies buried on the south side of the Victorian Gothic building. The place is St. Michael and All Angels Church, Baldhu.

In 1984, the ecclesiastical parish was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro

 

 

       

Information

 

About Us

Contact Us

Site Map

 

 

All Things Cornish

    

Cornish Shop