follow us on



Cornish Links

Towns and Villages




Return to A - Z of Towns and Villages







About Antony  |  Weather  |  Tide Times  |  Gallery

Once called Antony-in-East, Antony St Jacob, and East Antony, the parish is now just called 'Antony'. It is situated in the Hundred and deanery of East, and is separated from the town of Devonport by the river Hamoaze. It is bounded on the north by the River Lynher and St German creek, east by Hamoaze, south-east by St John's Lake, south by the parish of St John and Whitesand Bay, and on the west by Sheviock. The parish is named after the saint and possibly Anta's Farm, and was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The village is situated in the South East corner of Cornwall to the immediate West of the River Tamar. It is called Antone in the Domesday Book of 1086. Antony is in the Caradon district near to the mouth of the River Tamar. The new parish of Torpoint lies in the south-east corner of the older Antony parish. The area is mainly farmland to the West and the town of Torpoint lies in the east of the parish, and Torpoint parish was created from Antony in 1819. There are two forts in the parish, Scraesdon Fort and Tregantle Fort, the latter is currently used as a base camp for the adjacent military firing range. This parish is now in the Caradon District Council area.








About Us

Contact Us

Site Map



All Things Cornish


Cornish Shop